Thursday, December 17, 2009

Army Updates

So my husband has been home exactly a year today from his deployment to Iraq.  It's cliché but it's true, time flies! I can't believe it has been a year and I am so thankful as I reflect back over the last year we have had together as a family. I am guilty perhaps of perhaps not appreciating the fact that he was HERE as we live the past year, which is a shame because it was so hard when he wasn't here. I guess it was back to normal for me, but as a military family you have to be even more thankful for those "normal" times you have together because things aren't always that way.

Anyway, this post really isn't intended to reminisce but to provide an update on the status of our Army life.

We actually thought Jon was going to deploying with a small group of soldiers to Afghanistan in January but he was bumped from the mission. He of course is bummed and I am of course relieved...weird huh? So for now he is home but we will see how Obama's stance changes things in the year ahead, it's like we are braced for the orders to come at any time.

Also Jon got PROMOTED! He is now a Sargent in 142nd but he had to transfer to the Springdale Battery to accept the promotion. I guess that makes it bittersweet because he was just settling into his unit, but I know that making Sargent was one of his goals he has had since he enlisted 3 years ago and it means a lot to him to achieve it.

Can you believe he has been in for 3 years?! The 3 year mark also means his initial commitment is up, he would go into reserve status only in February if he didn't re-enlist. However, I am resolving to myself that he is probably in for life! He re-enlisted for 1 year, he would have done more but bonuses right now are pitiful which may change so this leaves him open to snag a better option if it becomes available.

Jon is also considering going to college using some of his military schooling benefits. We will see how it pans out, he hasn't been in school for a long time and he's not sure what he would go for yet. I think he will start slow and see where it goes.

Anyway, that is the udpate on the Military aspect of our life right now...we will let ya know if we get orders!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips